CURRENT EVENTS – June 9, 2019
We strive to be a caring church community. If you notice that an individual or family has not attended Sunday morning worship for a couple of months and you have concerns about their well-being, please forward their name(s) to Rev. Caroline for pastoral care.
NEW MEMBERS Are you a new person in our congregation? Are you interested in formally joining Orleans United Church? We will be having a time to receive new members in the church service on July 28. Please contact the Office if you would like to be included.
BROADVIEW RENEWAL TIME Renew your subscription to our own United Church magazine, Broadview (formerly United Church Observer). It’s full of a range of different articles: informative, challenging, theological, humorous. The cost is $25 for the year. Email Shirley (email@example.com).
SUMMER PROJECTS FOR CRAFTERS The Christmas Bazaar team has put together new take-home kits for knitters, crocheters and sewers looking for a way to help out this year’s Bazaar effort over the summer. They will be available in the Hall this Sunday, along with a selection of patterns and donated yarns. For those who prefer to use their own stash and patterns, we especially need adult and child sized hats as well as adult mittens. (Of course we gratefully accept all donations, so please don’t let this request limit your creativity!) You can leave your finished projects, marked “Bazaar,” in the Office at any time. Thank you!
SUMMER SUNDAY SCHOOL TEACHERS We are looking for teachers for each Sunday this summer. We will supply the materials and the wonderful children; you supply the kindness and the enthusiasm. This is a great way to support our Children’s Ministry program for one week (or more) and have lots of fun. There is a sign-up sheet on the Sunday School bulletin board in the Hall or you can let Paul Whynacht know the date you are interested in helping.
A LIGHT IS GLEAMING As those of you who sit in the centre sections of the Sanctuary know, sometimes the light streaming through our beautiful windows around the cross can be rather glaring. For some this is God’s light shining in on them. For others it can be a distraction. While there is already a protective film on the windows reducing glare, Council has been asked to consider other options for the main window. This item is on Council’s agenda for Wednesday June 26. If you have comments you would like to share about the window, please contact Ron Hunt – you’ll find him sitting in the Sunshine Section or at coffee hour on Sundays, or at firstname.lastname@example.org. And as we hope summer sunshine will soon be here, this note also invites you to wear sunglasses, move your seat, or close your eyes and bask in the light as you wish.
SUMMER MUSIC With the choir on hiatus for the summer, there are several opportunities to share your musical talents with the congregation. If you are interested please contact Scott Richardson (email@example.com).
LUNCH BUNCH gathers at St. Hubert’s on St. Joseph, Tuesday June 11, 12:30 pm. Please email Jean (firstname.lastname@example.org) so reservations can be made.
REV. DR. KAREN BOIVIN will be retiring at the end of June. A service of celebration will be held at City View United on June 16 at 10:30 am. All are welcome to attend.
SPARKLING SONATAS FOR SPRINGTIME with Kelly Moorcroft, flute and Scott Richardson, piano, tonight, 7:30 pm in the Sanctuary. Works by Sancan, Poulenc, Godard, and Taktakishvili. Admission by pay-what-you-will donation at the door ($20 suggested). A portion of proceeds will go to support youth mental health initiatives.
INTERCHURCH REFUGEE GROUP CELEBRATES 30 YEARS Celebrating 30 years since its inception at its Annual General Meeting in May, the IRG noted that its members have welcomed over 110 persons to Canada from 14 different countries. Your contributions and support are making a difference as OUC continues to advocate for justice worldwide. For more information contact Margaret (email@example.com).
MASON JARS (250ml size) are once again needed to make jam over the next few months for the Christmas Bazaar and for Centre 507. If you have any jars to donate, please leave them in the Office.
SUMMER CAMP AT OUC This summer brings some changes to our summer children’s camp – all the fun crammed into a ½ day program! Registration is now open for this year’s Vacation Bible Camp for 4 to 10 year olds. Camp will be July 15-19 from 9 am until noon. You can register online at orleansunitedchurch.com, or contact the Office. Any questions can be directed to Paul Whynacht.
OUC GOLFERS The Annual OUC Fun Golf and BBQ will take place on Sunday June 23 at White Sands off St. Joseph, followed by a BBQ at the Gray’s. The first tee offs begin around 1 pm. Golfers of all abilities and ages are welcome and anyone who wishes to just join in at the BBQ is most welcome. Our Fun Golf Day is also a wonderful opportunity to invite guests. Confirmation details and tee times will be sent via email once you’ve registered by contacting Dot (firstname.lastname@example.org, 613.830.5624).
ON LUTHER’S TRAIL AND OBERAMMERGAU PASSION PLAY 2020 July 31-August 13, 2020. Travel with Rev. Kim Vidal on a 14-day tour, exploring a fascinating glimpse into the life of the Reformation Father, Martin Luther. You will visit Eisenach, Erfurt, Eisleben, Berlin, Potsdam, Dresden, Wittenberg, Nuremberg and Munich. The tour also includes a 2-night stay in Prague, Czechoslovakia and a stop in Oberammergau for the featured Passion Play held every 10 years, performed by the inhabitants of Oberammergau. Reserve your spot on this tour with a non-refundable, fully transferable deposit of $500. Register by June 30, 2019 to receive a $300 discount. To register, please contact Rostad Tours at 1.800.361.8687. Information at www.rostad.com or speak with Rev. Kim (email@example.com, 613.816.6577 to receive a brochure.
SCHEDULES FOR THE REVS Rev. Molly is now on a 4 month sabbatical, returning October 1. Paul Whynacht will be sharing ministry with Rev. Caroline in Rev. Molly’s absence. Paul’s email address is firstname.lastname@example.org and his phone number will be 613.837.4601.
LIFE AND WORK OF OUC – JUNE 2019
FOOD BANK FOCUS FOR JUNE Staples: flour, white & brown sugar, rice, pasta, cooking oil, shortening, powdered milk, salt, pepper, spices. Always needed: baby food & diapers, feminine hygiene products, protein foods.
CENTRE 507 is a drop-in program for women and men in downtown Ottawa. Donations of white socks and underwear, as well as jam, regular ground coffee, soap, razors, toothbrushes and other personal supplies for the Centre are always needed, and may be put in the marked container in main OUC entrance.
HEALING PATHWAY Are you experiencing anxiety, pain, weariness, or just need a little pick-me-up? A session of Healing Touch could prove very beneficial. The schedule for June is:
Sundays, June 9, 16 & 30
Chapel – noon, 1 pm
Wednesdays, June 12 & 26
Room 11 – 7 pm, 8 pm
Each session is approximately ¾ hour in length. If you’d like to book a session, please send an email to: email@example.com with your name, preferred date and time. Please submit any questions you might have to this email, as well. The practitioners look forward to providing you with peace, calmness, and tranquility. God’s blessings to you.
JOYFUL YARN meets every second Wednesday, 7 pm in the Lounge. Open to all. The next meeting will be on June 12.
SUPPORT OUC FINANCIALLY:
- June 9 is our next Second Sunday Social at Boston Pizza, following the service. All are welcome to attend. 15% of your total will be given back to OUC. Please ensure you write OUC on the receipt and leave it at the hostess counter.
- Connor’s Irish Pub on St. Joseph Blvd. has made the following arrangement with OUC: when you dine there, write “Orleans United Church” on your bill and give back to your server (there is no box to put them in). OUC will receive 10% refund on these, in due course. On the last Sunday of the month the same applies, but we will receive a 15% refund.
- Gift Cards Shopper’s Drug Mart; Tim Hortons; Superstore/Independent/No Frills/ Loblaws; Metro/Food Basics; Farm Boy and Sobeys gift cards are available each Sunday in the Hall or during Office hours. There is no cost to you. OUC receives a percentage for each card we sell. Empty Farm Boy cards can be returned to the church to earn an additional 1%.
- Pre-Authorized Remittance (PAR) Your weekly givings can be offered through an automatic withdrawal by contacting Winston Babin (firstname.lastname@example.org).
- Envelopes If you wish to use church envelopes to record your offerings and ensure that you receive tax credit, please call the Office at 613.837.4321
VIDEOS OF OUC SERMONS In an attempt to further share God’s goodness and reach some of our congregation who are not able to be present in worship, we are posting sermon videos on our OUC YouTube channel. Go to http://orleansunitedchurch.com/sermons-2/video-sermons/. Please note that the videos do not contain images of anyone in the pews attending the services.
PRAYER MINISTRY Confidential prayer requests can be sent to ouc.prayersforall @rogers.com.
ASSISTED LISTENING A portable FM radio with headphones allows you to listen on 101.1 Mhz.
PARKING is allowed on Orleans Blvd. (in front of the Church) on Sunday mornings.
- Welcome Team: We are looking for people to join our Welcome Team, making OUC a friendlier place through serving as a greeter or usher, or at our welcome table or coffee hour on Sunday morning. If you are interested in helping out with any of these vital ministries, please contact the Office.
- Drivers: C.S.T. is looking for individuals who are willing to pick up congregants on Sunday morning for church on an occasional basis. Contact the Office if you can help.
- Ushers: We are looking for people to join our ushering team. If you are interested in this important welcoming ministry, please email Mark (email@example.com).
- Audio-visual Presentations: looking for persons who would like to learn how to operate the audio, video and PowerPoint systems used every Sunday morning and on special events such as weddings. Training will be provided. Come and make use of your creative skills. Contact David Patterson (firstname.lastname@example.org ).
- Attention Photographers: We are looking for scenic pictures around Orleans that we can project on Sunday morning as part of the service PowerPoint presentation. Please email large picture files directly to David (email@example.com).