PAINT AFTERNOON on January 13th 2:30-4:30PM
Come out and paint this ‘Reflections of Winter’ with NO paint experience required.
FUN afternoon for ages 13+
$15 from each ticket will be returned to Orleans United Church
To purchase tickets visit: https://goo.gl/4DRSw7
Come join us at the Boston Pizza on Innes Road after the January 14th Sunday Service (11:30-2pm) for lunch and conversation. Leave your receipt in the OUC box at the hostess stand in the restaurant and 15% will be returned to OUC.
EVENSONG: JAZZ, BLUES, GOSPEL and POP on Sunday January 21st 7pm
A wonderful concert experience featuring the eclectic mix of jazz, gospel, pop and blues that is Evensong with Leah Cogan, James McGowan, Jamie Holmes, Peter Woods, and JP Lapensee at Orleans United Church.
The net proceeds will go to the InterChurch Refugee Group. The Interchurch Refugee Group (IRG) is an ecumenical coalition of churches located in the East end of Ottawa, ON. Since 1989 it has been sponsoring government-approved refugees, supporting their integration into Canadian society and facilitating their transition towards self-sufficiency. The Interchurch Refugee Group is powered entirely by volunteers from our supporting churches, as well as from the wider community. To date, the IRG has helped 22 refugee families from around the world. https://www.canadahelps.org/en/charities/the-interchurch-refugee-group/
Tickets can be purchased online www.eventbrite.com/e/evensong-jazz-ensemble-tickets-41369745021
LUNCH BUNCH on January 16, 12:30 at Rangolis and on January 30 at Moxies. Please let Lorna Hobbs know if you are attending firstname.lastname@example.org 613.824.5805
JOYFUL YARN meets every second Wednesday, 7 pm in the Lounge. Open to all. Next meeting: January 10
MEN’S BREAKFAST meets every Wednesday morning 7am at Gabriel’s Restaurant on St. Joseph Blvd.
HEALING PATHWAY Come discover the wonder of the healing ministry. In 150 minutes, begin to learn how to develop the gifts and skills of healing within the Christian tradition. Sunday, January 14, 2-4:30 pm in the Chapel. Cost: Free will donation for Maureen Kellerman Bursary Fund. For more information or to reserve a spot contact Rev. Caroline email@example.com 613.837.5261
GIRLS ON THE SPECTRUM DROP-IN PROGRAM for girls on the autism spectrum and their families takes place on Sunday afternoons from 1 – 3 pm in the Lounge. Cost is $5 per drop in. For more information contact Suzanne firstname.lastname@example.org 613.852.0828
PRESBYTERY NEWS Ottawa School of Theology and Spirituality begins its 54th Winter Term on Monday January 8. Six courses are offered, including one by Paul Dillman with Brien Marshall – “Would you want Jesus as your financial adviser?” and another by Tom Sherwood. Peter Holt is the President of the School. Classes are at Dominican University College, 96 Empress off Somerset on Mondays at 7:30 pm for 10 weeks. Further information and registration: http://osts.ca
Spirit Talks: Faith and Arts Ottawa is launching its fifth documentary theatre program for young adults and adults on Sunday January 7. Spirit Talks is an amateur theatre project related to spirituality, religion and young adults. Working with the real words of young adults from Tom Sherwood’s book, Listening to The Echo, interested participants will reflect alone, in pairs and larger groups to develop various ways of wrestling with questions and issues that interest them. Register at faithandarts ottawa.org or email Ashley email@example.com for the registration form or firstname.lastname@example.org for more information. Or come to our first meeting – dinner at 6 pm in the Parlour at Southminster UC followed by an orientation workshop from 7 to 9 pm.
Trans-Script: Faith and Arts Ottawa presents Trans-Script at the Gladstone Theatre on January 21 and 22 at 7:30 pm. Each performance will be followed by a moderated audience-cast talkback. Trans-Script is an original 50-minute, 6-actor play dramatizing love and relationships in the context of transgendering experiences. Tickets are available at http://www.thegladstone.ca/trans-script/
EMAIL PRAYER MINISTRY – confidential prayer requests or offers to pray for others can be sent to email@example.com
FOOD BANK FOCUS FOR JANUARY Clean-up and storage: dish and laundry soap, paper towels, garbage bags, plastic wrap, storage bags. Baby foods. Personal hygiene products. Protein foods. 6- and 12-egg cartons NO 18-egg cartons please!
CENTRE 507 is a drop-in program for women and men in downtown Ottawa. You can support them by donating toiletries, regular ground coffee and jam. Contributions can be placed in the marked container in the parking lot entranceway.
CAN YOU HELP?
• Painting inside of the church / touch up areas – sign up sheet across from office
• Make coffee/tea/muffins for Coffee Hour after church – sign-up sheet posted on the wall beside the coffee urn in the Hall. (Lin and Mike, firstname.lastname@example.org, 613.837.6720
8TH ORLEANS SCOUTS
Register online at www.scouts.ca or during the meeting times:
• Orleans United Church – Mondays (Beavers- 6:15-7:15; Cubs 6:30-8; Scouts 7-9; Venturers 7-8 & Rovers TBD)
• Convent Glen Catholic School – Tuesdays (Beavers 6:30-7:30)
• St. Dominic Catholic School – Thursdays (Beavers 6:30-7:30; Cubs 7-8:30),
or contact Joni Boyd, Group Commissioner (commissioner@8thOrleans.ca, 613.837.4686).
SUPPORT OUC FINANCIALLY:
• GIFT CARDS: Superstore/Independent/No Frills/Loblaws; Metro/Food Basics; Farm Boy; Tim Hortons and Sobeys gift cards available each Sunday in the Hall or during office hours. There is no cost to you and the church receives a percentage for each card we sell. Used (empty) Farm Boy cards can be returned to the church to earn an additional 1% for the church. Please note: the Gift Card table will be closed on Thanksgiving Sunday (October 8) so volunteers can spend the holiday with their families.
• RONA CARDS are available at the fundraising table or you can use our account number OUC148120 at the cash and receive 5% off your purchase. The church will earn the equivalent 5%.
• BOSTON PIZZA ORLEANS, CHURCH REBATE PROGRAM OUC will receive a 10% rebate on all Boston Pizza purchases (before taxes). Please write “Orleans United Church” on your receipt and deposit it in the box at the hostess stand in the restaurant.
• Pre-Authorized Remittance (PAR) your weekly givings can be offered through an automatic withdrawal by contacting Winston Babin (email@example.com).
• FROZEN BERRY Orders will now be taken after church in the hall until Feb 12th. Blueberries 2 kg. bag $20.00, Raspberries 2.5 kg bag $28.00, and Cranberries 2 kg bag $15. Please contact Joan Brocklebank for more information. firstname.lastname@example.org
DID YOU KNOW THAT:
PARKING is allowed on Orleans Blvd. (in front of the Church) on Sunday mornings.
ASSISTED LISTENING – a portable FM radio with headphones allows you to listen on 95.7 Mhz.
CDs of SUNDAY WORSHIP are available at audio-visual room at the rear of the Sanctuary.