NEW MEMBERS Are you a new person in our congregation? Are you interested in formally joining Orleans United Church? We will be having a time to receive new members in the church service on July 28. Please contact Rev Caroline if you are interested.
SUMMER OFFICE HOURS are Tuesday to Thursday, 9 am – noon. Phone messages will be checked every day, but only emergencies will be responded to outside of office hours.
CALLING ALL GARDENERS, or wanna-be gardeners: there are some lonely garden beds at OUC that would like to be adopted for the season! A couple of hours once a month is normally enough to keep a flower bed free of weeds, or twice a month for a large one. Hands-on help is available for those who would like to learn about perennial flower gardening. Please contact Shirley Holt (email@example.com, 613.841.5143).
SUMMER STORAGE BLITZ OF S2 – SAVE THE DATE If you have “stuff” in S2, the Property Committee would like your help in streamlining and reorganizing this storage space. We invite you to come to the church on the evening of August 8, or during the daytime on August 9, and help us identify items that belong to and/or are important to you. For further information, please contact Janet Quirt (firstname.lastname@example.org) or Ron Hunt (email@example.com).
SUMMER MUSIC With the choir on hiatus for the summer, there are several opportunities to share your musical talents with the congregation. If you are interested please contact Scott Richardson (firstname.lastname@example.org).
BAZAAR 2019 UPDATE Jams, Jellies, Preserves and Mason Jars As folks prepare their preserves this Summer and Fall, the OUC Bazaar Committee would like to ask that you consider making a few extra bottles for us to sell at OUC’s Bazaar on November 16. Jams, jellies and preserves are among our most asked-for items at the Bazaar each year. To assist us in this effort, we ask:
- that if you have any extra mason jars, (especially the 250 ml size), you bring them into the OUC Office for others to use in canning their preserves.
- that you use only NEW seals on your jars, as public health regulations require us to do so if we offer these products for sale. We have a supply of new seals, free to anyone who wants them. Please see Shirley Holt (613.841.5143) or pick up new seals at the Office.
BROADVIEW RENEWAL TIME Renew your subscription to our own United Church magazine, Broadview (formerly United Church Observer). It’s full of a range of different articles: informative, challenging, theological, humorous. The cost is $25 for the year. Email Shirley Holt (email@example.com).
NEED SOMEONE TO DO CHORES? Daly Trust is a new social enterprise organized by St Paul’s Eastern United Church in Sandy Hill to help the homeless and marginalized share their gift of time and labour to help you with odd jobs around your home, church, synagogue, mosque or place of business. Please contact the foreman Eddy Peters (343.996.7696) or Grant Gilliland (firstname.lastname@example.org) for fees and appointment. They are really excited about getting involved in some work projects. This could have a significant impact in giving these folks some hope for the future.
CORO VIVO There are still 2 filing cabinets in Room 5. If you would like one, contact Kim in the Office. A small charitable donation to CHEO would be appreciated but not necessary.
PLEASE REMEMBER OUR FOOD BANK CLIENTS OVER THE SUMMER! Protein foods: peanut butter. Condiments- ketchup, mustard, relish, mayo. Coffee, tea, juice boxes. Baby food & diapers. Canned meat. fish, veggies, fruit
CENTRE 507 is a drop-in program for women and men in downtown Ottawa. Donations of white socks and underwear, as well as jam, regular ground coffee, soap, razors, toothbrushes and other personal supplies for the Centre are always needed, and may be put in the marked container in main OUC entrance.
HEALING PATHWAY Are you experiencing anxiety, pain, weariness, or just need a little pick-me-up? A session of Healing Touch could prove very beneficial. The schedule for July is:
|Wednesdays, July 10 & 24||Room 12 – 7 pm, 8 pm|
Each session is approximately ¾ hour in length. If you’d like to book a session, please send an email to: email@example.com with your name, preferred date and time. Please submit any questions you might have to this email, as well. The practitioners look forward to providing you with peace, calmness, and tranquility. God’s blessings to you.
JOYFUL YARN meets every second Wednesday, 7 pm in the Lounge. Open to all. The next meeting will be on July 10.
BOOK CLUB This year the book club will be reading Indian Horse by Richard Wagamese, Matrons and Madams by Sharon Johnston, The Handmaid’s Tale by Margaret Atwood, Life After Life by Kate Atkinson, The Cater Street Hangman by Anne Perry, Major Pettigrew’s Last Stand by Helen Simonson and Forgiveness A Gift From My Grandparents by Mark Sakamoto. We meet the last Tuesday of the month at 1 pm in the church library. Join us for one or more discussions, starting in the fall. For more information, contact Annemarie Humenuk (firstname.lastname@example.org).
ASSISTED LISTENING A portable FM radio with headphones allows you to listen on 101.1 Mhz.
VIDEOS OF OUC SERMONS In an attempt to further share God’s goodness and reach some of our congregation who are not able to be present in worship, we are posting sermon videos on our OUC YouTube channel. Go to http://orleansunitedchurch.com/sermons-2/video-sermons/. Please note that the videos do not contain images of anyone in the pews attending the services.
SUPPORT OUC FINANCIALLY:
- July 14 is our next Second Sunday Social at Boston Pizza, following the service. All are welcome to attend. 15% of your total will be given back to OUC. Please ensure you write OUC on the receipt and leave it at the hostess counter.
- Connor’s Irish Pub on St. Joseph Blvd. has made the following arrangement with OUC: when you dine there, write “Orleans United Church” on your bill and give back to your server (there is no box to put them in). OUC will receive 10% refund on these, in due course. On the last Sunday of the month the same applies, but we will receive a 15% refund.
- Gift Cards Shopper’s Drug Mart; Tim Hortons; Superstore/Independent/No Frills/ Loblaws; Metro/Food Basics; Farm Boy and Sobeys gift cards are available each Sunday in the Hall or during Office hours. There is no cost to you. OUC receives a percentage for each card we sell. Empty Farm Boy cards can be returned to the church to earn an additional 1%.
- Pre-Authorized Remittance (PAR) Your weekly givings can be offered through an automatic withdrawal by contacting Winston Babin (email@example.com).
- Envelopes If you wish to use church envelopes to record your offerings and ensure that you receive tax credit, please call the Office at 613.837.4321
- Welcome Team: We are looking for people to join our Welcome Team, making OUC a friendlier place through serving as a greeter or usher, or at our welcome table or coffee hour on Sunday morning. If you are interested in helping out with any of these vital ministries, please contact the Office.
- Drivers: C.S.T. is looking for individuals who are willing to pick up congregants on Sunday morning for church on an occasional basis. Contact the Office if you can help.
- Ushers: We are looking for people to join our ushering team. If you are interested in this important welcoming ministry, please email Mark (firstname.lastname@example.org).
- Audio-visual Presentations: looking for persons who would like to learn how to operate the audio, video and PowerPoint systems used every Sunday morning and on special events such as weddings. Training will be provided. Come and make use of your creative skills. Contact David Patterson (email@example.com ).
- Attention Photographers: We are looking for scenic pictures around Orleans that we can project on Sunday morning as part of the service PowerPoint presentation. Please email large picture files directly to David (firstname.lastname@example.org).
TOWER TAKEDOWN UPDATE The first project to takedown the tower roof and columns and repair the brickwork is complete, and the reshingling of the South West lower roof section is also complete. As noted previously, the flashing under the 52 widows on the second and third level s was improperly installed, resulting in leakage under certain conditions. Replacing this flashing is now a high priority, replacing the sidewalk repair. The flashing replacement will take place during July. The “40 in 40” campaign to raise funds to cover the costs of the Tower Takedown remains almost $10,000 short of the objective. If all the funds are not raised, the remaining costs will be paid from the general bank balance, resulting in an increased operational deficit for 2019. Please give as you are able. Restoring and regrading the ground area near the tower takedown work will be carried out by volunteers at minimum cost over the next several months. If there any questions, please contact George Teather (613.715.4321 cell)
PRAYER MINISTRY Confidential prayer requests can be sent to ouc.prayersforall @rogers.com.
PARKING is allowed on Orleans Blvd. (in front of the Church) on Sunday mornings.