CURRENT EVENTS – SEPTEMBER 22, 2019
MINISTRY FAIR This Sunday, October 6, after service in the Hall. Come and see all the ways OUC shares God’s goodness.
THANKSGIVING DINNER October 10 at the Montfort Renaissance. We still need a few food donations for this dinner. Please see Rev. Caroline for more information.
THANKSGIVING TURKEY CARCASSES Donations of turkey carcasses are needed to make turkey soup stock for the Bazaar. If you can help, please drop off your plastic wrapped turkey carcass in the OUC refrigerator in the Kitchen during the next three weeks.
SILENT AUCTION In previous years, members of the congregation have been very generous in donating all kinds of items for the Bazaar Silent Auction. We hope we can count on your support again this year. Here are some suggestions: ‘regift’ something new that didn’t suit your needs; share a pair of tickets to a hockey game or the theatre if you have season passes; collect items for or purchase a themed gift basket – which is always popular. We are open to your ideas!
A key part of the Silent Auctions’ success has been the support of local businesses. If you have a connection with a golf course, ski hill, spa, restaurant or other business, we can provide you with a covering letter to approach the business for a donation. We are looking for items and outings for all ages and interests! If interested, please email Pam Arnott at (firstname.lastname@example.org). Donations to the Silent Auction can be dropped off in the Office at any time.
BAAZAR We are grateful to everyone for their interest in the Bazaar. Please continue to collect used books and White Elephant items, but don’t bring them in until November 1. As you know, our storage capacity is at a premium, and we don’t want people tripping over things in the hallways. Thank you!
NURSERY We are looking for people to staff our Nursery this year. We need two helpers per Sunday. These are paid positions and a great opportunity for a youth or young adult. If you can help, contact Rev. Caroline.
UPCOMING FUNDRAISING EVENTS:
- Chili Luncheon: Sunday October 6 after service we will be having a chili luncheon in the Hall. Please join us. Free will offering for the Tower Takedown fund. Volunteers will be needed to help with this event. Please sign up on the sheets located on fundraising bulletin board in the Hall. For more information contact email@example.com.
- Saturday, November 9: OUC presents its first Murder Mystery Dessert Party. If you missed Vintage Stock Theatre earlier this year, now is your chance to catch “A Ghost of a Clue.” Doors open at 6:30 pm and show begins 7 pm. Tickets on sale October 6 in the Hall or in the Office during the week. $20.00 per person (includes dessert and coffee/tea). Money raised goes to Tower Takedown Fund. More information contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
INTERCHURCH REFUGEE GROUP (IRG) Our refugee family arrived safely in Ottawa in the third week of September. The family (mother, father, and two boys) are settling in to life in Canada and are preparing for their first winter. Thanks to the generosity of donors, we have plenty of children’s clothing, but are looking for warm winter clothing for the parents as well as shoes and winter boots for the whole family. Therefore, if you are cleaning out your closets, please consider donating: Men’s sweaters, pants, winter jackets size Medium to Large; Women’s sweaters, pants, winter jackets size Large; men’s shoes and winter boots, size 9-10; women’s shoes and winter boots, size 9-10; winter shoes and boots for a 4 year old (size 12 approximately) and an 18 month old (size 7 approximately). Additionally, hats, mittens, and scarfs for the entire family would be welcome. If you can assist, please contact Jill Parkinson (email@example.com). Thank you for your continued support for the family.
TAKING CARE OF A LOVED ONE AT HOME? The Champlain Hospice Palliative Care Program is offering a 5 week free workshop at Hillel Lodge, 10 Nadolny Sachs Pvt., Ottawa, either 1-3:30 PM or 6:30-9 pm.
Oct 23: Your Role as a Caregiver; Oct 30: Lifts and Transfers; Nov 6: Providing Personal Care; Nov 13: End of Life Care; Nov 20 Communication & Self Care. Limited to 12 participants . To register call 610.683.3779.
TRAINING TO BE A PRACTITIONER FOR HEALING PATHWAY Date: November 8, 9; Location:Glen Cairn United Church, 140 Abbeyhill Drive; Instructors:Joy Judd & Barb Loynes. An introduction to heart-centred, hands on healing in the Christian tradition. Participants will learn about and experience the human energy system and learn several techniques for working with it for healing and wholeness. Register early and save. Registration is $235. Registration brochures are in the Office.
GIVING THANKS ROAST BEEF DINNER (all you can eat) Saturday October 19. Entertainment at 4:30 (organized by Paul Sales this year. We promise you a no miss line-up.) Dinner at 5:30. The cost is $20.00 per adult or $50.00 for a family (children under 16). We will also need 38 pies. If you can help with a couple of pies, please sign up on the sheet in the Hall on the bulletin board where you get your coffee. Tickets are available in the Office, by contacting Peter Holt (firstname.lastname@example.org, 613.841.5143), or in the Hall after service. Come and join us for some great fellowship and some of the best roast beef and homemade pies in town. If you are unable to attend, please consider buying tickets for another family who cannot afford to attend.
THE ANNUAL ECUMENICAL TIME OF SHARING AND PREPARATION FOR WORLD DAY OF PRAYER will be held on Saturday, October 26 from 9 to 11:30 am at Rideau Park United Church, 2203 Alta Vista Drive at Cunningham Avenue. The focus country is Zimbabwe and the theme is “Rise! Take Your Mat and Walk”. Guest Speaker: The Rev. George Kwari, rector of St. Stephen’s Anglican Church. For more information, contact Rosalie (613.736.0232, email@example.com).
GOING AWAY THIS WINTER? Reliable friend of OUC seeks opportunity to “car-sit” your vehicle while you’re gone. Excellent driving record, and will keep the vehicle clean and running during your absence. For more information contact Kim in the Office.
GOOD NEWS DEPARTMENT Canada has created of one of the world’s largest conservation areas and Canada’s largest marine protected area: the Tuvaijuittuq Marine Protected Area and the Tallurutiup Imanga National Marine Conservation Area, both in the northeastern region of Nunavut. Tuvaijuittuq means “the place where the ice never melts”. It’s the last place in the Arctic that is expected to retain sea ice in the summer months despite global warming. The plan is to create a 427,000-square-kilometre conservation area off northern Ellesmere Island at Nunavut Arctic College. The allocated area is larger than Newfoundland and Labrador, or almost the size of Germany, according to the World Wildlife Fund (WWF).
LIFE AND WORK OF OUC – OCTOBER 2019
PRAYER CHAIN Are you or someone you know in need of prayer? Would you like to become a member of the prayer chain and pray for others? Consider joining the Orleans United Church prayer chain – all prayer requests are confidential and by first name only, and if you become a prayer chain member, you pray at the best time for you, wherever and whenever you can. Prayer can be a powerful force to help and support others. Please consider becoming part of the chain. Contact by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
BOOK CLUB meets in the library on Tuesday October 29, at 1pm to discuss Matrons and Madams by Sharon Johnston. All are welcome. For more information, contact Annemarie Humenuk at email@example.com.
CENTRE 507 is a drop-in program for women and men in downtown Ottawa. Donations of white socks and underwear, as well as jam, regular ground coffee, soap, razors, toothbrushes and other personal supplies for the Centre are always needed and may be put in the marked container in the main entrance.
JOYFUL YARN meets every second Wednesday, 7 pm in the Lounge. Open to all. The next meeting will be on October 16.
PARKING is allowed on Orleans Blvd. (in front of the Church) on Sunday mornings.
VIDEOS OF OUC SERMONS In an attempt to further share God’s goodness and reach some of our congregation who are not able to be present in worship, we are posting sermon videos on our OUC YouTube channel. Go to http://orleansunitedchurch.com/sermons-2/video-sermons/. Please note that the videos do not contain images of anyone in the pews attending the services.
HEALING PATHWAY Are you experiencing anxiety, pain, weariness, or just need a little pick-me-up? A session of Healing Touch could prove very beneficial. Each session is approximately ¾ hour in length. The schedule for October is as follows:
|Sunday Oct. 6||12-2 pm – Chapel|
|Wednesday Oct. 9||7-9 pm – Room 12|
|Sunday, Oct. 20||12-2 pm – Chapel|
|Wednesday, Oct. 23||7-9 pm – Room 12|
To book a session, send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org with your name, preferred date and time. Please submit any questions you might have to this email, as well. The practitioners look forward to providing you with peace, calmness, and tranquility. God’s blessings to you.
WEEKLY PRAYER We will be offering weekly, 45 minute centering prayer sessions during Advent. If interested, please email Heather McGrath (email@example.com)and specify your preference of days or evenings.
FOOD BANK FOCUS FOR OCTOBER Pasta & Veggies: dry spaghetti, lasagna, macaroni, fettucini, egg noodles, Kraft Dinner, spaghetti sauce, canned tomatoes, canned vegetables. Protein items: peanut butter, canned meat/fish. Baby needs: food and diapers
ASSISTED LISTENING A portable FM radio with headphones allows you to listen on 101.1 Mhz.
- Welcome Team: We are looking for people to join our Welcome Team, making OUC a friendlier place through serving as a greeter or usher, or at our welcome table or coffee hour on Sunday morning. If you are interested in helping out with any of these vital ministries, please contact the Office.
- Drivers: C.S.T. is looking for individuals who are willing to pick up congregants on Sunday morning for church on an occasional basis. Contact the Office if you can help.
- Ushers: We are looking for people to join our ushering team. If you are interested in this important welcoming ministry, please email Mark (firstname.lastname@example.org).
- Audio-visual Presentations: We are looking for persons who would like to learn how to operate the audio, video and PowerPoint systems used every Sunday morning and on special events such as weddings. Training will be provided. Come and make use of your creative skills. Contact David Patterson (email@example.com ).
- Attention Photographers: We are looking for scenic pictures around Orleans that we can project on Sunday morning as part of the service PowerPoint presentation. Please email large picture files directly to David (firstname.lastname@example.org).
SUPPORT OUC FINANCIALLY:
- October 13 is our next Second Sunday Social at Boston Pizza, following the service. All are welcome to attend. 15% of your total will be given back to OUC. Please ensure you write OUC on the receipt and leave it at the hostess counter.
- Connor’s Irish Pub on St. Joseph Blvd. has made the following arrangement with OUC: when you dine there, write “Orleans United Church” on your bill and give back to your server (there is no box to put them in). OUC will receive 10% refund on these. On the last Sunday of the month the same applies, but we will receive a 15% refund.
- Gift Cards Shopper’s Drug Mart; Tim Hortons; Superstore/Independent/No Frills/ Loblaws; Metro/Food Basics; Farm Boy and Sobeys gift cards are available each Sunday in the Hall or during Office hours. There is no cost to you. OUC receives a percentage for each card we sell. Empty Farm Boy cards can be returned to the church to earn an additional 1%.
- Pre-Authorized Remittance (PAR) Your weekly givings can be offered through an automatic withdrawal by contacting Winston Babin (email@example.com).
- Envelopes If you wish to use church envelopes to record your offerings and ensure that you receive tax credit, please call the Office at 613.837.4321
BAZAAR 2019 The Bazaar crafters are looking for cotton cord or rope in various widths and lengths, as well as dried lavender buds suitable for making sachets. If you have any extra of either item please drop off in the church office with a note indicating ‘for Bazaar’. Thanks very much.