May 7, 2020
Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged, for the Lord your God goes with you wherever you go.
A Note from the Revs….May 7, 2020
Dear friends in Christ,
It’s Mental Health Week in Canada! The Prime Minister, Justin Trudeau, today issued the following statement on Mental Health Week:
“It is a time for us all to talk about the importance of mental health and to reflect on our own self-care. Good mental health is so critical to our well-being, and yet it is often dismissed as less urgent or deserving of our care and attention. This leaves far too many to suffer in silence, fearing discrimination or stigma.”
Friends, there is still so much needless stigma about mental dis-ease. And “the impacts of COVID-19 are placing an even greater strain on our mental health.” https://pm.gc.ca/en/news/statements/2020/05/04/statement-prime-minister-mental-health
With this in mind, we wanted to focus on how you might take good care of your mental and emotional well-being in the coming weeks and months.
Here are some ideas for attending to your mental well-being:
- Remember that God loves you and is present with you as you navigate the challenges that come with Covid-19 protocols. Jesus, the Good Shepherd, is always available to care for his flock.
- No doubt, you have already heard the suggestion to stay connected to loved ones using technology, or by means of an old-fashioned telephone call.
- Another way to deal with the loneliness of isolation is to spend time in prayer, in meditation, or engrossed in an activity that has you be fully present.
- Prioritize your mental well-being. If you are feeling depressed or anxious and could benefit from a chat with your doctor, please reach out and make that appointment. Your mental health is just as important as your physical health.
- Think, “Grace, not perfection”: Adjust your expectations of yourself and others.
- Exercise! Pick something fun. Caroline’s recent favourite? Dance parties with Riley!
- Call your clergy! Seriously. That’s what we are here for. If you are struggling in some way, please do not hesitate to reach out to us by calling the office phone number. We will get the message and call you back asap.
- If you, or someone you know is in crisis, and needs support right away, contact the Ottawa Distress Centre: https://www.dcottawa.on.ca
We also commend the following Mental Health links:
Wellness Together: The Government of Canada has launched a new website called Wellness Together https://ca.portal.gs
Stronger Minds by BEACON https://www.mindbeacon.com/strongerminds
The WellCan App www.wellcan.ca
CAMh has a page devoted to Mental Health and the Covid 19 pandemic: http://www.camh.ca/en/health-info/mental-health-and-covid-19
CMHA Ottawa Home
This week, you will also receive, as a separate Pdf document, more information about a variety of Educational opportunities that will be offered via Zoom or that are in the works. Please read it over and send in your feedback and your ideas! Java Jive and Men’s breakfast gatherings have been happening via Zoom with great success and our “adventure in virtual community” continues!
Finally, it has been suggested that we change the church marquee saying more regularly and we Revs can get a bit stumped for new messages. If you have a sign suggestion or two, with no more than 13 letters, please email them Rev. Caroline: firstname.lastname@example.org Thanks!!
Until next time, we wish you God’s grace and peace,
Molly & Caroline