Orleans United Church requires an Ordained Minister on a full time basis to join in and grow with the Ministry Team at Orleans United. The following are the desired attributes of this person.
- Dynamic orator/storyteller able to make scripture relatable to congregants of all ages.
- Compassionate ability to engage with people of all walks of life at all stages of life.
- Sense of humour and very strong interpersonal and communication skills.
- Ability to lead/guide without taking over or micro-managing.
- Superior time management, organizational and planning skills with respect to urgent, short-term, and long-term projects.
- Comfort with, and ability to deal with resistance to change.
- Ability to engage and encourage new voices and new points of view, including on established committees, while still honouring the contributions of existing members.
- Ability to give a compassionate and respectful, but still firm, ‘no’ when required.
- In-depth knowledge of scripture and theology.
- Knowledge of governance models, leadership strategies, and group dynamics.
- Knowledge of outreach, modern media, and/or other communication tools and techniques.
- Knowledge of strength-based volunteer models or other motivational/empowerment tools
- Knowledge of Orleans United’s Living Ministry Profile and a demonstrated understanding of our commitment to Spreading God’s Goodness Together within Orleans United and the larger Orleans community.
- The key attribute is an openness to being an equal partner in a team ministry where both Ministers share responsibility for overall pastoral services, including Sunday Worship, and both are involved in every facet of life at Orleans United, yet respect and give space to each other’s strengths.
- An openness to meaningfully considering many different points of view and being part of a team, whether paid staff or ministry team, where you may not always have the final say.
- A commitment to transparency in decision making, subject to any relevant privacy/confidentiality considerations.
- An ability to work variable hours including early mornings, evenings, and of course, weekends.
- An openness to different interpretations and understandings of scripture and the ability and willingness to model that openness for others.
- A passion for multiple areas of ministry but also a willingness to shoulder half of the responsibility for the less visible and/or fun work.
- A willingness to challenge others, an ability to give, and model for others how to give criticism in a constructive and courteous manner. You understand that leading doesn’t always mean making the popular or easy choice, or getting your way, and can model these leadership skills for others.
- A theological approach consistent and supportive of OUC as a progressive, liberal and inclusive church.
- Experience and / or willingness to work in team ministry or other shared leadership model.
- Experience engaging young adults as they transition from youth to adulthood.
- Experience planning and leading adult bible study.
- Experience crafting dynamic worship services including drafting and delivering original sermons on a bi-weekly basis, working with the Music Director, lay readers, and Ministry partner to ensure consistency between the sermon, music, children’s discovery garden, and overall message of worship, and consistency in messaging from week to week.
- Profile 1: Demographic, Financial and Community
- Profile 2: Living Ministry Profile
- Profile 3: Position Description(s)
- Profile 4: Skills, Knowledge and Experience
- Profile 5: What We Can Offer
- Profile 6: Pastoral Charge – Telling Our Story
Joint Needs Assessment Report (PDF, 406KB)