- LIFE AND WORK OF OUC – OCTOBER 2017
PARKING is allowed on Orleans Blvd. (in front of the Church) on Sunday mornings.
ASSISTED LISTENING – a portable FM radio with headphones allows you to listen on 95.7 Mhz.
CDs of SUNDAY WORSHIP are available at audio-visual room at the rear of the Sanctuary.
EMAIL PRAYER MINISTRY – confidential prayer requests or offers to pray for others can be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org
FOOD BANK FOCUS: Pasta (spaghetti, lasagne, macaroni, egg noodles, Kraft Dinner, spaghetti sauce, canned tomatoes) Proteins: peanut butter, canned meat and fish. Empty 6- and 12-egg cartons are always accepted.
CENTRE 507 is a drop-in program for women and men in downtown Ottawa. You can support them by donating toiletries, regular ground coffee and jam. Contributions can be placed in the marked container in the parking lot entranceway.
NEW! GIRLS ON THE SPECTRUM DROP-IN PROGRAM We are starting a program for girls on the autism spectrum – a place to make friends, try different activities and for parents, grandparents and caregivers to support each other. The program will run on Sunday afternoons starting October 15, from 1 – 3 p.m. at Orleans United Church in the Lounge. This program is parent-organized and not a clinical-type program. Parents/guardians are expected to attend with their daughters. Cost is $5 per drop in to help offset expenses. If you would like more information or would like to attend, please contact Suzanne (613.852.0828, email@example.com).
OUC BOOK CLUB meets in the library at 1 pm on the 4th Tuesday of each month. This month the book is The Underling by Ian McKercher, who will be here on the 24th to give a presentation. Other book clubs are invited, as well as anyone else who is interested. Mr. McKercher will have this book and the sequel, The Incrementalist, available for sale and will also sign your books. For more information, please contact Annemarie Humenuk (firstname.lastname@example.org).
CAN YOU HELP?
• Pulling weeds – contact Shirley Holt (email@example.com, 613.841.5143)
• Painting sign on corner of Orleans Blvd and
Sugar Creek Way ) signup
• Painting inside of the church – ) sheet
touch up the heavy-use areas ) across
• Re-orient the garbage shed ) from
• Lawn mowing in October ) office
• Home-made jams, jellies or preserves are needed for OUC’s Christmas Bazaar
• Mason jars (250 ml) are needed for Bazaar – leave in Church Office
• Make coffee/tea/muffins for Coffee Hour after church – sign-up sheet posted on the wall beside the coffee urn in the Hall. (Lin and Mike, firstname.lastname@example.org, 613.837.6720).
CHRISTMAS BAZAAR (November 18) SILENT AUCTION We are looking for volunteers to join the team to help make the Silent Auction a success. If you would like to join, please contact France (email@example.com). You can also help by canvassing businesses you frequent for donations, or asking family and friends for donations of event tickets, homemade crafts, unused art, and various collectibles. Do not hesitate to contact us if you have an item for donation. We can either present it by itself or as part of a special package of various items.
FREE SAND Over 2 cubic yards of sand free for the taking from the former nursery school playground area. Tell your friends and take as much as you wish.
A GRIEF WORKSHOP is being offered by OUC and Queenswood United on five Tuesdays, November 7 to December 5 from 1:30-3:30 pm at Queenswood United, 360 Kennedy Lane East. Sessions are free and snacks will be provided. Topics will include: defining grief, finding the holy in grief, First Nations’ spiritual practices for dealing with grief, living with grief and speaking to children about loss and death. Please email Heather McGrath (firstname.lastname@example.org) to register.
SUPPORT OUC FINANCIALLY:
• GIFT CARDS: Superstore/Independent/No Frills/Loblaws; Metro/Food Basics; Farm Boy; Tim Hortons and Sobeys gift cards available each Sunday in the Hall or during office hours. There is no cost to you and the church receives a percentage for each card we sell. Used (empty) Farm Boy cards can be returned to the church to earn an additional 1% for the church. Please note: the Gift Card table will be closed on Thanksgiving Sunday (October 8) so volunteers can spend the holiday with their families.
• RONA CARDS are available at the fundraising table or you can use our account number OUC148120 at the cash and receive 5% off your purchase. The church will earn the equivalent 5%.
• BOSTON PIZZA ORLEANS, CHURCH REBATE PROGRAM OUC will receive a 10% rebate on all Boston Pizza purchases (before taxes). Please write “Orleans United Church” on your receipt and deposit it in the box at the hostess stand in the restaurant.
• Pre-Authorized Remittance (PAR) your weekly givings can be offered through an automatic withdrawal by contacting Winston Babin (email@example.com).
8TH ORLEANS SCOUTS Register online at www.scouts.ca or during the meeting times:
• Orleans United Church – Mondays (Beavers- 6:15-7:15; Cubs 6:30-8; Scouts 7-9; Venturers 7-8 & Rovers TBD)
• Convent Glen Catholic School – Tuesdays (Beavers 6:30-7:30)
• St. Dominic Catholic School – Thursdays (Beavers 6:30-7:30; Cubs 7-8:30),
or contact Joni Boyd, Group Commissioner (commissioner@8thOrleans.ca, 613.837.4686).